Views
Helpful
Replies

Cat 4507 w/ dual Sup.IV failover questions

Randall White
Level 3
Level 3

Hi All,

I'm setting up a Cat 4507 w/ dual Supervisor IVs running IOS 12.1(12c)EW.

1. I noticed that the active Sup is in Mod 2, even if I force it to fail to the 1st Sup, it will change back to the 2nd one after a few minutes. I've swapped engines, but it still prefers the one in Mod 2. Is this normal or a bug? Much different from Cat 6500s.

2. Since these don't have separate MSFCs, I'm assuming that the layer 3 part will replicate just like the rest of the Sup config. This means I don't need HSRP like w/ dual MSFCs, right? Does the failover Sup takeover the Vlan interface IP addresses?

Any comments are appreciated.

Thanks, Randy

2 Replies 2

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It is not expected for the Sup in slot 2 to be active all the time. Check to see if there is something wrong with the Supervisor in slot 1.

You are correct. You do not need any HSRP configuration for redundancy between Supervisors in same chassis

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/177.html

Thank you,

I have swapped the supervisors from slot 1 to slot 2 and they still prefer slot 2. I also talked to another engineer who is running a similar switch and he noticed the same problem. I will try upgrading the IOS to 12.1(13) and see if that helps. If not, I'll e-mail TAC.

Thanks, Randy

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: