Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Community Member

Cat 4k SupII and Sup III

We are looking are redesigning the infrastructure in one of our buildings and are considering the following:

One Cat 4006 w/ Sup III for the core switch

One Cat 4006 w/ Sup II for the wiring closet

Are there any issues at all mixing Sup III and Sup II in the same environment since the Sup III is IOS based and the Sup II is CatOS based?

Are there any other concerns I should have?

Thanks!!

6 REPLIES
Community Member

Re: Cat 4k SupII and Sup III

Cat4006 for a core switch ?

Depends on what kind of throughput capacities you require out of the box.

If you are looking at power users with GigE uplinks to distribution/access layers you need to pay attention to the architecture of the SUP ( specifically the layout of the ASICS in the SUP. They control the throughput of this box. )

Community Member

You may consider getting sup III for both. it has so much more functionalities. You will not run into issues with sup III and sup II interconnect, but if you could put in little bit more money, go with sup III on both.

Community Member

Okay... I wouldn't need to purchase the Enhanced IP license for the closet switch correct, just the core (since we are running EIGRP) because the closet switch would not need to know any routing information because all of the routing would be done in the core switch. Is my thinking correct?

Community Member

I'm not sure what's the enhance IP license for (which function). You should always prepare to use the layer3 for both switch, then just turn the vlan interface to passive, let the router do the job (avoid trunking if you can), in case you want the none core switch to be transparent or a server as well. YOu just need to be careful when you make the change (also tftp the cofig before and after the change). We have some 6509s; 6009s; 5513s and some 4006s. Most of them a layer 3 switches. We use four servers, and the rest of them are either client or transparent. It just give you some flexibilities to do what you may need to do in the future.

Community Member

Sup III currently supports only IP. So if you are big IPX shop you need to buy 4232-l3. 4232-l3 doesn't work with sup III in the same chassis.

Community Member

You should have no issues using the two. It would be like having a 6509 in the core and 4000's in the closet. The Sup's in themselves should be OK. However it is a new product and with that comes unknowns. I would begin with the design and what you want accomplished when you are done. If you only have the core and the one closet what you are choosing is what other companies are doing. Obviously I do not know your specific network so I would take the info with a grain of salt.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content