Views
Helpful
Replies

Cat 5 running 1000BaseT?

wmmak
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

do anyone run 1000BaseT on Cat5, how is it?

I am wondering it can run on Cat5 even though it is ok according to the standard.

Is it better to us at least Cat5e? any documentation?

Thanks

mak

2 Replies 2

pkhatri
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

We've run 1000BaseT over Cat5 and it works just fine, as long as you adhere to the distance limitation of 100 meters.

Hope that helps - pls rate the post if it does.

Paresh

ju_mobile
Level 1
Level 1

I think that there are some points that need to be raised here. If the Cat5 installation passes a full Cat5e test you should have no issues at all. The difference between Cat5 and Cat5e is the quality of the copper the amount of twists and the module (outlet,patch panel) circuit boards.

Yes it will run, I carried a test out about 2 years ago. I stripped 100m's of UTP and coiled all 8 strans of copper into a ball, tied knots in it etc etc. I then terminated this with 2 x RJ45's and ran some tests. Yes it worked. But at what speed ?

Defining, yes it works across Cat5 without reviewing all of the scenarios does give you much of a rating.

Yes it will work at some speed or another.! Gigabit ? not guarateed.! 500mbps ? not guranteed.!

I have seen in the past structured cabling installations where engineers have reused the Brown's and Blue's for telephony this in some 1000baseT links will stop the link from operating as it requires all 4 pairs.

Hope that is of some use. I have a performance test tool for dragging data back fourth across links if you wish to test.

Cheers

Ju

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: