cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cat 5505 Supervisor lights are Amber...

MarkMonteleone
Level 1
Level 1

We just bought this switch used, do the amber lights and no post to the serial mean that the supervisors are spent?

5 Replies 5

mheusinger
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

this might very well be the case. Yet have a look at "Cisco Catalyst 5000 Series Switches

Install and Upgrade Guides" and especially the guides for your supervisor engine. They describe the boot sequence and troubleshooting steps.

You might also want to try to access ROMMON to rule out the problem arises from a corrupted image, modified console speed and the like.

Regards, Martin

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You have to connect to the console port and watch while it boots up and cut and paste the bootup sequence to see if there is a problem .

I would have been more than happy to do that, but it doesn't give me a post!

with no POST as you connect to the console port, this could mean a few things.

* your console port connection to your PC may not be configured properly; or you have a bad console cable.

(verify your connection parameters, 9600 baud, 8, none, 1, no flow control)

(also replace the console cable if you can or the DB connector if possible)

* the supervisor engine does not have any memory on it; verify if there is any DRAM; while your at it, verify if any FLASH is installed.

what version of supervisor engine? I, II, IIG,...etc

Also 5500's are not the same as the rest of the switch consoles , you will need a straight thru cable to connect to the console , this may be why you are getting no output.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: