Views
Helpful
Replies

Cat 6000 partial configuration loss

kkalaycioglu
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

After cold restart, cat 6009 lost some of configuration (VLAN definitions, hostname, AAA settings) but the other parts of the config (e.g. port-VLAN mappings, ip sc0 config, port speed/duplex settings) were OK. What may cause this?

Regards.

3 Replies 3

edmonds_robert
Level 1
Level 1

The two things that come to mind are:

1. Check to see if "set config mode text" has been configured on the switch. This command will cause the switch not to save the configuration without issuing "write mem".

2. Check if any other switches are configured as a VTP server. If the switch rebooted and a switch increased its VTP revision number to one that was higher than that of the 6009, the 6009 could lose VLAN info.

Of course, #2 doesn't explain the hostname and AAA settings, does it? I guess #1 sounds more likely given the info.

Hello,

1. There's not a "set config mode text" line, I also checked with command "sh conf mode" and received "System configuration mode set to binary.". When I issue the command "sh conf all" I see:

set boot config-register 0x102

set boot config-register auto-config overwrite

set boot config-register auto-config sync disable

set boot system flash bootflash:cat6000-sup.6-3-3a.bin

set config acl nvram

Is there anything wrong with this?

2. There's no connected switch.

Regards.

milan.kulik
Level 10
Level 10

Hello,

I noticed the same partial config loss two times during last year on my Cat4000s. First, everything was lost except the sc0 IP address. Second, some VLAN changes were lost.

In both cases that happened after our building power failure. I was not able to reproduce the problem via swiching the Cat4000 off/on.

Regards,

Milan