Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Cat 6500 password recovery

Hello,

My London colleague and I are trying to recover the usermode and enable passwords of a Catalyst 5500 switch and a 6500 switch. We've followed the instructions outlined in http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/474/pswdrec_6000.html, but we've been unsuccessful with both switches. We're able to get usermode access, but we can't seem to get to privileged mode. We issue the "enable" command, and we get the prompt for the enable password, but hitting Enter at this point does not allow us access - the switch tells us that access is denied.

The instructions indicate that the recovery operation must take no more than 30 seconds from start to finish. We are performing this operation as quickly as we possibly can, well within those 30 seconds.

Since we can access usermode, we are able to see that the 5500 has CatOS 4.2 running on a Supervisor 2, and the 6500 has CatOS 6.3 running on a Sup1A.

Are there any other ways at all to recover a lost password on a 5500 and a 6500? Completely erasing the startup configuration is not an option for us. Is there possibly something undocumented we'll need to do as the switch restarts? Any help at all would be appreciated.

1 REPLY
VIP Purple

Re: Cat 6500 password recovery

Hello,

weird indeed. There seems to be no other recovery procedure than the one described in the document you mentioned. I checked for possible bugs, but nothing there either. The only thing I can imagine is that your terminal emulator somehow interprets the as a character and thinks it is a password...

You could try and use the latest version of Hyperterminal, you can download it here:

http://www.hilgraeve.com/htpe/index.html

Regards,

GP

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content