cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cat 6509 - Multiple VLAN DHCP relay .Switch running native IOS

ra_comms
Level 1
Level 1

I have a problem to set dhcp relay with Catalyst 6509 switch with sup and msfc cards and running native ios ver 12.1(8a)E4.

I have specified "IP helper address" in the vlan interface where the dhcp client is connected it doesnt help.

"no ip directed-broadcast" doesnt appear in the interface config while doing a "show run" or "sh start" commands.

dhcp server functions perfectly when dhcp clients moved to the same vlan subnet.Switch routing works with static address.

I tried to enable "directed-broadcast" with access-list in the vlan interface and enabling "ip forward protocol udp ports 67 and 68" and "ip dhcp smart-relay" in global config mode still it doesnt help.

I tried the same interface config with a cisco 2611 router and placing the dhcp server in one interface and dhcp client in other interface it works.The "no ip directed-broadcast" parameter appears in the router "sh run" or "sh start".

Anybody has got an idea and advice how to get dhcp relay functioning in our switches

5 Replies 5

ehyman
Level 1
Level 1

I would verify that you entered the "no shut" command on the vlan interface and that the helper address is pointing to the dhcp server.

e-mail me your configs at adignan@n2nsolutions.com

cgarofalo
Level 1
Level 1

I Had the same problem with my Catalyst 6509. I didn't find a solution for it.

I resolved this problem to assign the IP addresses in the DHCP Server with the MAC addresses of the clients.

So the switch with this configuration work properly

Regards, Carmelo

Sounds like a ios bug if your configuration is right and it can work on cisco 26xx router.

Cisco engineers suggest to use catalyst version software of 6000 family.

rfroom
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Is IP helper-address pointing to a unicast IP address or broadcast address? check out the troubleshooting described in the following document:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/100.html

Taking a sniffer trace should help us narrow down the problem.