Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Purple

Cat OS password change via snmp

Is there a way to change the password on a Cat 4000 Sup II other than taking the box down and going into ronmon mode ? Can it be changed via snmp or any other way . I know we changed it on a router once and was wondering if there is a way to do this . Somehow when we ran a Ciscoworks job against 3 boxes it screwed up the password somehow and now we cannot access these boxes . 2 of the boxes we cannot even telnet to because we don't know the telnet password now and 1 box we are unable to change the enable password for the same reason . Any ideas on how to fix this without taking the box down ?

2 REPLIES
Blue

Re: Cat OS password change via snmp

Changing password via SNMP may not possible unless you know the hashed password. If you have another exact switch running the same CatOS, then you can get the hashed form from that and use that to change password on this switch. Also, different CatOS versions produce different hashes. You can follow: http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/477/SNMP/move_files_images_snmp.html

to make the changes via SNMP.

Silver

Re: Cat OS password change via snmp

--begin ciscomoderator note-- The following post has been edited to remove potentially confidential information. Please refrain from posting confidential information on the site to reduce security risks to your network. -- end ciscomoderator note --

Glen

I have done this using the below , however , I do not think it will work on 4.x code , It has worked for me below 4.x and above 4.x

Make a file on your tftp box read write permissions

you can name it anything you want

this will set the pw to ww

begin

set password xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

set enablepass xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

end

copy to switch from tftp server

snmpset -c read/write string ip address of host .1.3.6.1.4.1.9.5.1.5.1.0 octetstring ip address of tftpserver

snmpset -c read/write string ip address of host .1.3.6.1.4.1.9.5.1.5.2.0 octetstring name of file on tftpbox

snmpset -c read/write string ip address of host .1.3.6.1.4.1.9.5.1.5.3.0 integer 1

snmpset -c read/write string ip address of host .1.3.6.1.4.1.9.5.1.5.4.0 integer 2

snmpwalk -c read/write string ip address of host .1.3.6.1.4.1.9.5.1.5

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content