Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Webcast-Catalyst9k

Cat2912XL shuts down management VLAN on reloading

I have moved my management VLAN from the default (VLAN 1) to VLAN 2. My show run looks like this:

<b>

interface VLAN1

no ip address

no ip directed-broadcast

no ip route-cache

shutdown

!

interface VLAN2

ip address 192.168.2.191 255.255.255.0

no ip directed-broadcast

no ip route-cache

ntp broadcast client

!

ip default gateway 192.168.2.254

</b>

This works. I can manage the switch on address 192.168.2.191 through VLAN 2. I have done a copy run start so that my startup configuration looks identical.

But if I reload the switch, I cannot reach it afterwards. Looking at the running configuration, I see:

<b>

interface VLAN1

no ip address

no ip directed-broadcast

no ip route-cache

shutdown

!

interface VLAN2

ip address 192.168.2.191 255.255.255.0

no ip directed-broadcast

no ip route-cache

shutdown

ntp broadcast client

!

ip default gateway 192.168.2.254

</b>

It has seen fit to leave VLAN 2 shut down, because this is the defauilt condition on booting. Looking in the show conf, I do not see the shutdown line on VLAN 2. If I go into VLAN 2 and do a no shut, then it becomes reachable once again.

Ok, I suppose I could get round the problem by pulling the config to TFTP, adding a no shut, and sending it back to the NVRAM. But that it a bit heavy if I have to do it every time I make a configuration change.

I tried the command cluster management-vlan 2, but that is only available if I am a cluster command switch.

Has anyone else seen this, and does anyone have a solution? Unless I can get round it, my management has to stay on VLAN 1 ... ugh!

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Purple

Re: Cat2912XL shuts down management VLAN on reloading

Ok Kevin here is your answer I believe.

CSCsc00319 Bug Details

Headline Catalyst 3500-XL: logging source-interface command shuts down interface

Product IOS

Feature OTHERS Components Duplicate of

Severity 2 Severity help Status Verified Status help

First Found-in Version 12.0(5)WC10, 12.0(5)WC11 All affected versions First Fixed-in Version 12.0(5)WC14 Version help

Release Notes

Symptom:

Interface referenced in the logging source-interface configuration command is administratively shutdown after the device is reloaded or power-cycled.

Conditions:

Catalyst 2900-XL and 3500-XL series switches running Cisco IOS version 12.0(5)WC12.

Workarounds:

Do not use logging source-interface configuration command.

Cisco IOS version 12.0(5)WC9a does not have this problem.

5 REPLIES
Purple

Can't say i have seen that , maybe you can post the rest of the config to see if we can see anything .

OK, here it is.

The switch exists only to service an isolated (for the moment) VLAN 17. VLAN 1 is the old management, VLAN 2 the new management. VLAN 12 exists only for the purpose of defining a dot1q native; it is not used anywhere on the network. VLAN 40 is my RSPAN. (Yes I know 2912XL does not support RSPAN, but I think I can fiddle it with a short cross-cable. We'll see. ;-)

The running config and the start config are identical. But when the router boots, VLAN 2 is in shutdown.

IOS 12.0(5)WC13

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

Purple

Certainly don't see anything out of the ordinary . When you do a "show vlan" vlan 2 shows state active correct ? Have not run into what you are seeing but never really trunked much with the old 2900 series switches but don't know why they would be any different than other IOS switches. Maybe upgrade to 12.0.5Wc15 ???

Purple

Ok Kevin here is your answer I believe.

CSCsc00319 Bug Details

Headline Catalyst 3500-XL: logging source-interface command shuts down interface

Product IOS

Feature OTHERS Components Duplicate of

Severity 2 Severity help Status Verified Status help

First Found-in Version 12.0(5)WC10, 12.0(5)WC11 All affected versions First Fixed-in Version 12.0(5)WC14 Version help

Release Notes

Symptom:

Interface referenced in the logging source-interface configuration command is administratively shutdown after the device is reloaded or power-cycled.

Conditions:

Catalyst 2900-XL and 3500-XL series switches running Cisco IOS version 12.0(5)WC12.

Workarounds:

Do not use logging source-interface configuration command.

Cisco IOS version 12.0(5)WC9a does not have this problem.

Well caught! Thanks Glen, that's gotta be worth 5 points!

Removing the logging source-interface worked around the problem OK. Updating to WC15 resolved it definitively. Now to update the other 24 examples of that switch in my network.

Cheers.

Kevin.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content