cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cat2924XL only allowing one vlan

csbowser
Level 1
Level 1

Help. Can't see the forest for the big tree in front of me...

Catalyst 2924XL with 11.2 or 12.0 code (two switches, doing the same thing). Received the switches from Cisco (demo units). Set one switch up several weeks ago, with three vlans, trunked on port 1. All was well. Last week, users complained of problems - checked and only one vlan was 'not shutdown'. Vlan show shows all vlans active, none suspended. Issuing 'no shut' command in vlan interface config mode does nothing - remains shutdown. After frustrating attempts, cleared startup-config, loaded new ios. Went into vlan database and created three vlans - applied changes. Went to configuration mode, gave vlan 1 an ip address, gave vlan 2 ip address and issued no shut command. gave vlan 3 ip address and no shut command. Went to interfaces and assigned several to different vlans (switchport access vlan x). Check running config - shows vlan 2 - x as shutdown. Ran show ip interfaces brief - shows vlan 1 active, 2 - x as administratively shutdown.

Is there an issue, bug or default command that only allows one active vlan? Ug.

3 Replies 3

csbowser
Level 1
Level 1

Never mind. C2924 doesn't have routing blade, therefore it can't have multiple IPs assigned to different vlans. If they are, only one will be allowed to be active. Someone cut down the tree - I can see the forest now.

Just more info...

The VLAN on the 2900/3500 is a management VLAN only and only VLAN interface can be active at a time. I got bit with the same thing you saw when I first used one. I kind of wish they just had a Interface Mangement or something similar, and under that you assigned IP and assigned the VLAN it was in instead of the multiple VLAN interfaces.

Erick

jmujica
Level 1
Level 1

The vlan interface that you create on that particular switch is just a management interface.. You can create a lot of vlans but just one will be active.. That doesn't affect the users.. again that is just the management interface on the switch and you can assign the management interface to any vlan active on the switch..

-JJ

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: