cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cat2950 SNMP communities

milan.kulik
Level 10
Level 10

I've noticed in 2950 documentation (http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat2950/1219ea1/scg/swsnmp.htm#62673) that there should be some Read-Write-all SNMP community string defined with default value "Secret".

But there is no way how to change this value (it is possible on Cat4000, e.g.). Using sh snmp or sh run you don't see this community. Trying MIB browsing with community string "Secret" or "secret" brings an error message "invalid community string".

So have I found just a documentation error or does this Read-Write-all community exist on Cat2950?

Regards,

Milan

2 Replies 2

thomas.chen
Level 6
Level 6

What IOS version are you running? Looks like this applies to 12.1. In any case, in config mode you should be able to type "snmp-server community " so if it's not taking that, I'd check with TAC on it.

badamson
Level 1
Level 1

The read-write-all snmp string definition only applies to a CatOS based switch. The 2950, being an IOS based switch, has only snmp read and snmp write communities. It looks like you have found where Cisco has provided a generic snmp configuration page for that section of the 2950 configuration documentation. You can disregard that entry.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: