Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Cat3350 12T - need to upgrade network

We run one Cat3550 12T as our Gbit backbone

We need to increase the capacity of the backbone

to allow more servers on the network

Is the Cat3550 12T stackable?

i.e can i introduce a new cat3350 and stack the two of them to increase the size of the backbone from 12 to 24???

2 REPLIES

Re: Cat3350 12T - need to upgrade network

It is stackable via the Gigastack module, but that might not be your best choice depending on what you're looking for. With two of them connected via a gigastack cable, you get a full duplex connection that is 1Gbps in both directions (ie: 2Gbps of bandwidth). If your servers are actually using up alot of bandwidth, this might not be desirable, you will overload the link between the switches.

A very nice alternative is to go with the newer 3750 switches. You can get a 24 port gigabit ethernet switch with either 2 or 4 SFP ports (small form pluggable GBIC modules). That would cover your 24 port needs right now. In the future you could add more of these switches and they actually do "stack" via a special stacking cable. Using this cable you get 32Gbps on the stack for up to 9 switches total in a stack. That would be potentially 24*9 or 216 gigabit ethernet ports all stacked together... Much nicer than the 3550's...

Re: Cat3350 12T - need to upgrade network

Are arch at the moment we have one 3550 with all our access switches(3) connected to it as well as the servers.

So if we have a problem with one of the cables up to 80 people are effected

My idea was if i could get a 2nd one in i could introduce redundancy + load balancing

with the 3750 i can't do that

if i was to do this would i use the gigastack module?

Views
Helpful
Replies