cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cat4006 Sup-3 GigE port Connected to HP ProCurve Gig Port

pgcampbell
Level 1
Level 1

I'm attempting to setup a network connection to an HP Procurve 4000 series switch. I have the Cat4006 port set as a dot1q trunk. HP switch is set as a trunk. Will the Cat4006 support VLANs on the HP box? What do I need to do to ping across and see devices on the HP switch?

TIA.

4 Replies 4

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If the HP switch supports trunking you should be fine. Create all the VLANs you want on both the 4006 and the HP box and you should be able to ping across

Thats my problem, I cannot ping across. I have a VLAN setup on the Cat4006 as 192.168.160.1 this represents devices on the HP's network. The HP has this VLAN setup with its default gateway as 192.168.160.1. The HP is directly connected as described previously. All Pings fail.

Any other ideas????

I know that HPProCurve supports Cisco CDP.

I cannot see the HP 4000 switch via CDP. We plugged in a 2500 series HPProcurve and did "show cdp neighbors" and saw the 2500.

Thanks.

Does the interface on the CAT4006 come up fine? If not disable auto-negotiation on both sides.

Make sure native VLANs match on both sides. If you still have issues, make the link between the 2 switches a non trunk and see if it works for just one VLAN

Yes, the interface on the Cat4006 does come up fine, interface is up line protocol is up....and I can see that broadcast packets are traversing the link.

When you say make sure that *native* VLANs match, do you mean that the *default* VLANs on both switches must have the same IP subnet? VLAN 1 on the Cat4006 and the default on the HP?

As far as autonegitiation goes, I am under the impression that a GigE port on the Cat4006 supports Full-Duplex only. Yes?

Also...when I do a " show interface gigabit 2/3" on the cat4006, for the port in question, I see something that says "IP processing disabled". Is this supposed to be that way?

Thanks again.