cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cat4507R/IPX Routing/L3 IPX Slow

ebanksdhhs
Level 1
Level 1

One a single Cat4507R, there is slow IPX performance going from one VLAN to another, PC with Novell 3.3 client to Novell 4.11 server. Route tables look great, no duplicate entries, accurate, etc. If you pop the PC/application on the same VLAN as the server, things speed up dramatically. Why does the routing introduce so much latency? Is there a way to tweak the config, or otherwise investigate the problem? Packet sniff shows NCP won't burst, but even so, the file write process is very slow.

6 Replies 6

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Routing of IPX is supported since 12.1(12c)EW software. In the initial release the performance is in the range of 20 -30kpps but since has been increased to 80-90 kpps starting from Cisco IOS 12.1(13)EW software. Can you upgrade to 12.1(13)EW and test. Make sure you read the release notes for known issues

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat4000/relnotes/ol_2170.htm

I'll schedule the IOS upgrade. It will take a bit of time as this 4507R supports a major data center for us and about 1,000 users in a single location. This sounds like it would help significantly, however. Thanks for the tip - I had considered this, but didn't see any comment on IPX performance enhancement in the release notes before I posted this question. Again, thanks for the response.

I'm very happy to report that IPX routing performance is back to normal for us. The IOS upgrade did the trick.

I take it back; IPX routing is still awfully slow. I've been fighting this battle all week. After looking at dual sniffer traces at either end of a link, I'm finding a pair of 4507's introducing as much as 11ms delay getting an IPX packet routed across a gigabit link. I'm about at my wit's end on this. I have users screaming all over the place, especially MS Access users, and I don't know what to do other than flatten the network, which isn't even viable in some locations.

Hi ETHAN,

I was wondering if you resolved your issues, if so how. I am installing a 4507 and will be routing IPX from one vlan into another. Please let me know so i can avoid your issues.

Thanks ,

Paul

Paul, there is no way to resolve the issue. Cisco recommended that I route IPX via a separate device that switches IPX L3 in hardware, like a 7200 series. With 12.1.13 IOS release, we're supposedly getting 80Kpps IPX forwarding rate. For the most part, the users aren't feeling the impact of this - as long as Netware Core Protocol lights up packet bursting, we're fine. The first packet of an NCP burst takes 11-15ms across a gigabit link between 2 4507's, but the subsequent packets in the burst arrive in sub-1ms times. An NCP burst ACK from a client will take 11-15ms again. Overall, it's not a big deal in that scenario, so file access and printing from the Netware servers we're phasing out isn't too bad. We're feeling the pain with MS Access. Users have MS Access MDB files living on Netware servers. For whatever reason, client access to MDB files won't packet burst. It's still NCP back and forth, but the application bundles packets so inefficiently that we were seeing 1, 2, 10, etc. bytes in the data payload, with bursting never starting up. Users were screaming about how slow their wretched little MS Access applications were going. The only way to fix that issue was to bring the application to the same L2 network.

My advice is that if you have a long-term committment to IPX (we do not), don't buy a 4507. That said, I love everything else about this chassis. IP performance is outstanding. The stability and uptime has been 100% - I had a out-of-box failed Supervisor 4 engine, and a fan tray recall replacement, but other than those growing pains you expect with a newly released product, the chassis has been a flawless performer. We replaced 3 Enterasys SSR chassis with the 4507's, and I don't regret it for a second. The SSR boxes had all sorts of routing table and OS stability woes, plus couldn't recover from a power failure on their own. The 4507's have made our life easier in every regard except IPX L3 performance...since IPX is going away here, that's a pill we can swallow easily.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: