cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cat4507R with SII+

Kevin Dorrell
Level 10
Level 10

If I have a Cat4507R chassis with two SII+ supervisor cards, can I use all four uplink ports, i.e. those on the standby supervisor card as well as those on the active one?

If a supervisor card fails in just its supervisor functions, can it carry on using the uplink functions of the failing card, under the control of the new active supervisor?

Thanks in advance.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

amit-singh
Level 8
Level 8

Hi Kevin,

How are you !! Long time no see..

When you are using redundent sups (Sup 2+) in the 4507R chassis only the first port of each sup engine is active, i.e 1/1 and 2/1. Rest other ports are in standby state.

If you are using sup2+10GE, then one 10 GE port and first 2 SFP ports on each sup engine are active.

HTH, Please rate if it does.

-amit singh

-amit singh

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

amit-singh
Level 8
Level 8

Hi Kevin,

How are you !! Long time no see..

When you are using redundent sups (Sup 2+) in the 4507R chassis only the first port of each sup engine is active, i.e 1/1 and 2/1. Rest other ports are in standby state.

If you are using sup2+10GE, then one 10 GE port and first 2 SFP ports on each sup engine are active.

-amit singh

-amit singh

Hello Amit,

That's a pity ... they want four G ports for connection to other sites via "almost dark" fiber. That means I would have to buy a WS-X4306 to give them the connectivity. I might be better off with a stack of 3750s.

Yes, I have been away for a time doing other non-tech things. But now that I have finished tracing my family back to generation K-6, I hope to give some time to NetPro again. ;-)

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

Kevin

You might want to consider the Supervisor 5 engine as well(WS-X4516). With Sup5, all 4 ports would be active.

To answer your other question, "If a supervisor card fails in just its supervisor functions, can it carry on using the uplink functions of the failing card, under the control of the new active supervisor?" , yes the uplinks on the standby Supervisor would be active(even if the standby Supervisor is in rommon). This is by design in 4000/4500 series switches.

Hope this helps.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: