Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Cat5500 w/RSM & VLANs - Overkill possible?

Quick question...

Reviewing a network configuration in which a Cat5500 w/rsm is in the core of the main site (roughly 150 remote sites, most over FR links). It's working fine, some issues but outside the scope, and configured properly IMO. My question though is, can the segmentation of the network using VLANs reach a point of overkill?

I understand how having roughly 30 VLANs in this core switch has positives, such as decreased broadcast traffic, and with the exception of gliches there are no significant routing issues...

So, question 1 - Is there a point where being too posteriorily retentive has adverse affects?

Question 2 concerns this granular VLAN config and it's affect on the configuration of the PIX firewall.

On the plus side, being so granular with the VLANs allows for a great deal of control with ACLs in the PIX, but on the flip-side that also 'could' require a lot of manual administrative time updating two systems when either is changed... Right? I'm making that assumption based on trying to decyphir a PIX config file that is roughly 100 standard 8.5x11 printed pages in length.

Anyone out there able to expand on these two points?

1 REPLY

Re: Cat5500 w/RSM & VLANs - Overkill possible?

Regarding your question one, I don't think so there is any such adverse effects...

Views
Helpful
Replies