Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cat6500 hybrid: access to msfc bootflash from switch?

I have a Cat6500 with Sup720-3B which I am trying to set up in hybrid mode. I boot into the switch fine but the MSFC has no bootable image in its bootflash.

Is it possible to get an MSFC image downloaded to MSFC bootflash from the switch, or do I just have to go into MSFC rommon and download an IOS image using XMODEM?

4 REPLIES

Re: Cat6500 hybrid: access to msfc bootflash from switch?

Hi Slaterc,

You cannot copy image from sup bootflahs to msfc bootflash but what i think better then going with xmodem you can use PCMCIA card and you can boot MSFC from there and once MSFC is up and running you can copy image from pcmcia to bootflash of msfc.

Also if you do not have PCMCIA you can xmodem boot image onlt so that you can boot msfc with boot image and once you are in MSFC boot mode you can tftp MSFC main image into its bootflash.

HTH

Ankur

Cisco Employee

Ankur,

Sup720 does not support PCMCIA card(it supports compact flash instead) nor does it support XMODEM. Also, there is no boot image(bootldr) for MSFC3.

Slaterc,

In Hybrid mode, you can have the MSFC3 image in sup-bootflash: and from MSFC ROMMON, just issue a "boot sup-bootflash:". After the MSFC3 boots up, just make sure you copy a bootable IOS image to the MSFC3 bootflash.

Thanks Prashant for correction !!!!

Ankur

Prashanth

Our Sup720 does support Xmodem but the maximum speed is only 34800bps which is very slow.

However I followed your suggestion of boot sup-bootflash: from the MSFC rommon and it worked!

Thanks for your help!

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content