Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CAT6509 and interface up/down messages for Gigabit Intf. in log buffer?

I saw a posting at the forum at link:

http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Network%20Infrastructure&topic=LAN%2C%20Switching%20and%20Routing&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Ddisplay_location%26location%3D.1ddb98df

I have a Cat 6509 that is not sending link flap messages to the log buffer or syslog server. Is this the default behaviour of CAT6509 runing Native IOS. My customer is saying he has not put the "logging event link-status" on any of his other CAT 6509, but they all log messages in the log buffer (except one CAT6509) and all CAT 6509 are configured the same way. I said to my customer you have to put this command and he doesn't accept. He says that it should be default behaviour, as all other CAT 6509 do it. He sent me the configs of a CAT 6509 that sends link flap messages and one that doesn't and they both are configured almost the same way.

One that works and sends link flap messages - up/down messages to log buffer

============================================================

mpls ldp logging neighbor-changes

logging snmp-authfail

logging buffered 10000 debugging

no logging console

logging history size 300

logging history warnings

logging source-interface Loopback0

logging 172.22.44.22

logging 172.22.44.21

logging 172.25.44.21

logging 172.25.44.74

One that doesn't send link flap messages - up/down messages to log buffer

===================================================

mpls ldp logging neighbor-changes

logging snmp-authfail

logging buffered 10000 debugging

no logging console

logging history size 300

logging history warnings

logging source-interface GigabitEthernet1/1

logging 172.22.44.21

logging 172.22.44.22

logging 172.25.44.21

logging 172.25.44.74

I thought this may be because GigabitEthernet1/1 may be down and hence the problem, but it is surely UP.

They are all running native IOS - s72033-jk9sv-mz.122-17d.SXB1.bin

What is the default behaviour without the CAT 6509 without "logging event link-status" command globally or on any interface.

Is there a pointer to the link explaining the default behaviour.

Alphonse

3 REPLIES
Purple

Re: CAT6509 and interface up/down messages for Gigabit Intf. in

It depends on if his other 6509's are native or hybrid. If native you need the logging event link status command . In hybrid the behavior is different and you do not need that command.

By default "logging event link-status" is disabled. The reason for this is port density. Image a 6513 fully populated with 48 port line card, the switch will log all the up/down event. so it was left ot the customer to enable this if they chose to do so. Default behavior is no link status event is logged. The command is interface mode. You can use "range" keywork to enable on more than one port at a time.

Please rate helpful posts.

You are right although 12.2 IOS command reference says the other way around. It says the default is link up/down are reported and we have to do a

"no logging event link-status" on an interface to stop it. But you are right. I just tested it in a CAT6500 that I was allowed to test for 1/2 hour. If I put a global command "logging event link-status default" then also it reports link up/down on all interfaces. If I put "logging event link-status" on a particluar interface then it does that for that interface only. So if customer wants on all interfaces he could use "logging event link-status default" global command.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content