cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cat6509-E

Hieu Cao
Level 4
Level 4

Our core switch has 244 GIG ports and I'd like to hard-set some of it for server connections at 1G instead of 100 Full duplex as they are right now..does anyone know if there's any gotchas on this switch that I should be aware of before setting the port speed to 1000?

Our servers have 1GIG NICs and the CAT6509-E is running v12.2(17d) os version...should it be at the latest version before I set the port speed?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

TIA.

Hieu

3 Replies 3

In My experiance, I have seen auto/auto gives better performance than 1000 full.

But you can test it before implementing it.

Connect your pc to the same switch. Set one port to 1000 full and the corresponding server to 1000/full and use the robocopy tool to copy 500 Mb of data from your pc to server. It will show your throughput.

Also set the same port and the server to auto and run the robocopy again on the same 500 Mb. compare the throughput and implement the best one.

ajagadee
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hieu,

Recommended Port Configuration

(Autonegotiation or Manual Configuration)

There are many opinions on the subject of autonegotiation. Previously, many engineers advised customers not to use autonegotiation with any switch-connected device. However, improvements in the interoperation of autonegotiation and the maturity of the technology has recently changed the view of using autonegotiation. In addition, performance issues due to duplex mismatches, caused by the manual setting of speed and duplex on only one link partner, have become more common. Because of these recent issues, the use of autonegotiation is regarded as a valid practice.

Please refer the below URL for details:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps700/products_tech_note09186a00800a7af0.shtml

I hope it helps.

Regards,

Arul

Hello Anees, Arul,

Thank you very much for your input!!

Hieu