Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Cat6509: entering rom mode directly from catos to get a printout of memory

Hi. An engineer told me that it is possible to directly enter the rom mode (without a reload) when you set config-register to a specific value???

The reason for this is because we have some strange happenings with a module in the switch. I would like to enter rom mode right after a crashed module happened to get a printout of memory, ... I'm also looking for this special undocumented command to get a memory output because it would help us to find out where in the OS code the problem occured. Any ideas?

1 REPLY
Bronze

Re: Cat6509: entering rom mode directly from catos to get a prin

If you are using the native mode and if break key is enabled (the config-register has bits 0 to 15, bit 8 should be set to 0 instead of the default value of 1), then you can send a break signal from your terminal session which will make the device enter the ROMMON mode. The break sequence that you send will depend on the terminal emulation application that you are using. In ROMMON mode, you can use commands like 'sysret' or 'stack' to get the information that you want and then use the 'cont' command to proceed loading the image. If you are using the hybrid mode, you can switch to the MSFC and then send the break signal.

Views
Helpful
Replies