cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cat6509 interVLAN communication

vantipov
Level 1
Level 1

I configured VTP across my Cisco infrastructure and created one VLAN for testing purposes. I can communicate within this VLAN that spans my core and the edge Cat2950. Now I want to set up ability to communicate outside this VLAN if I needed to. So I have to use MSFC and set up 2 interfaces on it: default VLAN1 and my test VLAN10, and assign IPs to these interfaces. What I am having trouble with is that for VLANs on MSFC to work I have to have separate subnets for each VLAN. For me that would mean resubnetting my entire IP scheme. And that point seems like you are not VLANing, but subnetting. Is there any other way doing this?

2 Replies 2

ejgonzalesiii
Level 1
Level 1

That is basically what you are doing when creating VLAN's. It's a "virtual" LAN which means subnetting. It is virtual in the sense that you have virtual interfaces but the same rules apply as if you had multiple interfaces on a router. You have to use a layer 3 device to cross over interfaces unless of course you bridge which defeats the purpose of vlan'ing.

Thanks, it makes sense. I am just looking for alternatives for this problem.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco