cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

[Cat6K Sup Diagnostics] - GBIC Intergrity "Unknown"?

andy.cruz
Level 1
Level 1

- Catalyst 6500 with Native IOS 12.1(13)E

Anybody out there who knows the reason why?

There's actually no problem with the GBIC ports but I'd like to know if this kind of status is normal or not. I also have the same results with 16-port GBIC modules but all of them seems to work properly.

Thanks for any answer.

3 Replies 3

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

GbicIntegrity diags test is only applicable to the new security enabled GBICs(1000Base-T gbics and CWDM types). It does NOT apply to legacy GBICs.

That's the reason a 'U' is displayed for legacy GBICs.

Hi and thanks for your quick reply. Do you know any CCO document (URL) that I can read to understand this better? I mean I'd like to know (or learn) how this works or simply why this does not apply to legacy GBICs, even if it requires me to go back to the basics of GBICs, fiber, copper, etc.

Thanks again.

One place where I've found it documented is:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/765/tools/quickreference/gbic.pdf

"WDM, copper, and SFP GBIC's all include a GBIC EEPROM "code" that certifies the GBIC as coming from Cisco. New versions of IOS/CatOS check this code to verify the GBIC - if the code is not found, or is not valid, the software will disable the port in software and will not allow traffic to pass. Older GBIC's (5484/5486/5487) were manufactured before this feature was introduced, and do not contain this feature. Regardless, TAC will not troubleshoot a GBIC that was not purchased from Cisco, the same policy as Flash/DRAM memory."

-A

Asbjoern Hoejmark | CTO | CCIE #8525
Wingmen Solutions A/S | Gyngemose Parkvej 50, 1. | DK-2860 Søborg | Denmark
M: +4525162108 | E: ah@wingmen.dk | W: www.wingmen.dk
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: