cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalsyt 2948G cannot communicate with Other than cisco Switch

IRMAN SETIAWAN
Level 1
Level 1

I am setting up CCNA lab, and I am lucky to have in my possesion a Catalyst 2948G with the most recent CatOS. I setup 4 vlan:

Vlan1 port 1-12, 48-50

vlan2 port 13-24

vlan3 port 25-36

vlan4 port 37-48

I connect 4 Linksys switch via uplink port to port1, port 13, port 25, port 37. I have 1 server connected directly via the switch in every vlan, and I have 2 computer connected in each linksys switch. From the server, I can ping the switch ip address, but cannot ping any computer on the linksys switch. From the client I can ping the other client on linksys switch, but cannot ping the server or the switch Ip address.

I tried to delete all the vlan on the cisco switch and make sure that all ports are on default vlan1, but still doesnt work. All subnet and IP address are correct, Connection light are on and sh cam command shows all the mac address on linksys switch. I can only communicate with other device that is connected directly to the cisco switch. Is there any special setting to connect cisco switch with other switch (non manageable switch) ??

Thanks

5 Replies 5

ali-franks
Level 1
Level 1

Are your uplink ports on the 2948 set to trunks using 802.1Q encapsulation? The default trunk mode is ISL which is proprietary to Cisco and wil not be supported on the Linksys. Also, if you are trying to pass traffic between VLAN's you need a router to carry out inter VLAN routing. Called "router-on-a-stick".

The following link may be of some use. No doubt there are better ones but can't find them right now.

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/50.shtml

HTH

Ali

I've tried that already, but still no success. The linksys router are not manageable, so I dont know if port trunks with any type of encapsulation matters.

I wonder why ??? A few month ago I could swear this setup works easily. Btw I am going to use a few 2501 router to interconnect the vlan, but I need to get this connection problem out of the way. Maybe I need to reset the router to default cisco factory....

I did clear config all and reboot the switch....

Is there a way to return the switch back to original factory setting ??

Thanks

Hmmm...

The clear config all should do the trick regarding default settings.

May sound daft but do you see any Duplex

Mismatch errors when you connect a Linksys to the 2948?

It sounds like something fairly fundamental but can't put my finger on it...I guess you're at the "can't see the wood for the trees" stage now and I know what it's like!!

Anyone else got an idea?

Ali

faheyd
Level 1
Level 1

Yes, you are lucky to have a 2948G. Have you enabled IRB,

Ref: http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/29.html#example1

And specifically "In addition, the logical port-channel interface is assigned to the bridge-group to join the bridged interfaces on the Catalyst 2948G-L3 with the switch ports in VLAN 1..." and "Finally, Integrated Routing & Bridging (IRB) is enabled..."

Example:

2948G-L3#configure terminal

2948G-L3(config)#bridge irb

2948G-L3(config)#bridge 1 protocol ieee

2948G-L3(config)#bridge 1 route ip

2948G-L3(config)#interface bvi 1

2948G-L3(config-if)#ip add 10.1.1.1 255.255.255.0

2948G-L3(config-if)#exit

2948G-L3(config)#interface fast 1

2948G-L3(config-if)#no shutdown

2948G-L3(config-if)#bridge-group 1

2948G-L3(config-if)#bridge-group 1 spanning-disabled

2948G-L3(config-if)#exit

2948G-L3(config)#interface fast 2

2948G-L3(config-if)#no shutdown

2948G-L3(config-if)#bridge-group 1

2948G-L3(config-if)#bridge-group 1 spanning-disabled

end

I've never used a 2948G, but seeing that you have layer 2 connectivity and see MAC addresses, I would think it' a 'ip' type of problem, hence the bridge irb commands above. I hope this helps!

You know, Something weird just happened today....

Weather is realy bad, and there was a few power surges in my house. I didnt connect the switch to a UPS so it reboots everytime there was a power surge.

Now everything works..... I didnt even have a change to change the configuration on the switch at all today and was reading this newsgroup.... Btw thanks everyone for the help... =)