Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Webcast-Catalyst9k

Catalyst 1900 Series Switch

I have a Cisco Catalyst 1900 Series Switch (Yes, I know its old). I tried updating the firmware to the latest version and now I am stuck. I was using the XMODEM xfer process to update the firmware. The update procedure first removes the old firnmware, then started to upgrade with the latest version. The process starts ok, but I very quickly get errors and the process fails. Now the switch is inoperable. I have tried several terminal program using XMODEM to xfer the file w/o success. Any ideas on how I can get this up any running?

8 REPLIES
VIP Purple

Re: Catalyst 1900 Series Switch

Hello,

not sure what you have already tried, but you might want to reset the switch and the management console to factory defaults, check this link for the procedure (this document also tells you what to do to recover from corrupted firmware):

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/hw/switches/ps574/products_installation_and_configuration_guide_chapter09186a008007f0fe.html

Regards,

GP

I think I might have more insight into my problem potentially. I am using a null Modem cable to communicate with my 1900 switch via the 9 pin connector in the back of the unit. I am able to get the unit into debug mode (Hold the mode button down while powering up the unit until the green light on port 1 goes out). All the menu's come up ok and I can interact with the menu sytem without any problems. When I use the xmodem xfer option to update the firmware, I get an error when I initiate the xfer. That lead me to beleive the handshaking was not working probably. I went to the manuals and found a chapter on Connectors and Cables. They don't specifically talk about the 9 pin port, they do talk about the RJ45 connections and the pinout layout is not a standard 9 pin serial port layout from what I can tell. Anyone have any insight on the 9 pin port. I think the way I interpret the pin out are:

RTS pin 1 Normal 9 pin serial port has this as pin 7

DTR pin 2 Normal 9 pin serial port has this as pin 4

TxD pin 3 Same as 9 pin serial port

GND pin 4 Normal 9 pin serial port has this as pin 5

GND pin 5 Same as 9 pin serial port

RxD pin 6 Normal 9 pin serial port has as pin 2

DSR pin 7 Normal 9 pin serial port has as pin 6

CTS pin 8 Same as 9 pin serial port

A couple of other observations. On the 1900 switch, there is no pin for DCD identified. Also they tell you to connect pin 1 and 8 (RTS and CTS) together.

Help!

Thanks... James

I have a similar problem, have you found the solution ? I can't access the link proposed by gpauwen.

Thank You and Best Regards

VIP Purple

Hello,

can you post your email address ? I will send you the link in another format.

Regards,

GP

Hi, not yet. I am going to check the link out and will post if I am successful.

Hi, thanks for the response. Yes, I have reset to the factory settings; not success. I will try your link and see... thanks.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content