cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 1924 console troubles

tvorhauer
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to console into a cat 1924. I get nothing but ATQ0H0 displayed in the hyperterm session. I have tried several different cables, verified my settings (9600, 8, N, 1, N). Seems to be looking for a modem or something. Is there a break sequence to bypass this? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

6 Replies 6

drodriguez_ch
Level 1
Level 1

I have the same problem with a catalyst 35xx. In my case I have resolve using windows 98

to try to connect.

In fact It all catalyst have problems to connect in console mode with windows 2000 & XP

but he work with windows 98.

It is very strange because you don't have problems with routers series only with switchs.

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Don't know what type of interface you have on your pc or laptop but on my laptop I use a straight thru cable to a DB9 connector then I have a small db9 null modem connector on the end of that , this combo will work with almost any of the cisco stuff .

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

PS get rid of hyperterm and download a freeware utility called Tera Term , this works great for configuring and is also a good telnet client .

rfroom
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You have an older, original series 1924. You will need a null modem cable and not a rollover or straight thru cable.

I guess I'm a little confused here. The console port on the switch is an RJ45 connector, not a DB9 or DB25. I'm not a cable expert, but can I make a null modem cables with RJ45 connector?

Thanks!

The switch is a rj45 we are talking about getting a null modem connector for the end that goes into whatever you are using to configure it with , be it a laptop or VT term ,if it's db9 on that end you need a db9 null modem connector , if it's RS232 then you need a rs232 null modem .