cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 2800 HELP!!!

bohica
Level 1
Level 1

I have a catalyst 2800 that was previously configured, I need to access the management console but I have no idea how to do this, there is no port marked "console", and I have a RS-232 port on the back and a 25 pin AUI and 25 ethernet ports on the front.

I've tried to connect from a laptop with Hyperterminal via the RS-232 connection with no success.

The biggest problem is that I do not have the IP or password to this device so I cannot telnet into it.

At one time I had a link to Cisco for a "hard reset" of the system by opening up the switch and resetting it from the board?

I am at a loss here.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Tom

6 Replies 6

Hello Tom,

not sure if you have tried the password recovery procedure yet, check the link below. If your switch is running firmware 1.09 or earlier there is a special procedure (also described in the document) which involves calling Cisco TAC. Which model do you have (2820, 2822, 2828-DF)?

Password Recovery Procedure for the Cisco Catalyst 1700, 1900, 2100, 2800, and 2820

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/hw/switches/ps574/products_password_recovery09186a00800a6c79.shtml#v109

Regards,

Georg

Yes, I'm in the process now, I had called customer service and they stated that the product was no longer supported.

well, after folloing up with cisco, first at web-help@cisco.com, they had me call TAC again, and they could not give me any information, they actually asked me why I wanted to use this device......

I asked for a User manual, but i was told that I would have to buy a service contract for more support.....

So.........

I connected the 2800 to my other switch via crossover, and I connected a laptop to the 2800, I can surf the net with no issues. I tried to run a "sh cdp neighbors detail", but it came up empty, I even tried to follow this link to reset to factory defaults: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps591/products_field_notice09186a0080094c71.shtml#resetting

but i still cant connect to the management console, which I am assuming is the serial on the back of the unit, I even tried serial to serial from my laptop to the unit via rs-232 and a rollover cable which gav me the best results, atleast I got a modem string type display in hyper terminal "ATQ0Z0 & ATQ0H00"

I'm at a loss.

So here I am at the start again

Hi Tom, I am not sure but as far as I recall, this device (2820) uses a propietary cable, not a rollover neither a straight through cable. Find at Cisco the pinout (and fabricate it) and you will solve tha problem...hope this helps

Thanks,

I'll try to find the info!

Tom

gdelarosa
Level 1
Level 1
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: