Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Catalyst 2800 HELP!!!

I have a catalyst 2800 that was previously configured, I need to access the management console but I have no idea how to do this, there is no port marked "console", and I have a RS-232 port on the back and a 25 pin AUI and 25 ethernet ports on the front.

I've tried to connect from a laptop with Hyperterminal via the RS-232 connection with no success.

The biggest problem is that I do not have the IP or password to this device so I cannot telnet into it.

At one time I had a link to Cisco for a "hard reset" of the system by opening up the switch and resetting it from the board?

I am at a loss here.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Tom

• Other Network Infrastructure Subjects
6 REPLIES
VIP Purple

Re: Catalyst 2800 HELP!!!

Hello Tom,

not sure if you have tried the password recovery procedure yet, check the link below. If your switch is running firmware 1.09 or earlier there is a special procedure (also described in the document) which involves calling Cisco TAC. Which model do you have (2820, 2822, 2828-DF)?

Password Recovery Procedure for the Cisco Catalyst 1700, 1900, 2100, 2800, and 2820

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/hw/switches/ps574/products_password_recovery09186a00800a6c79.shtml#v109

Regards,

Georg

Yes, I'm in the process now, I had called customer service and they stated that the product was no longer supported.

well, after folloing up with cisco, first at web-help@cisco.com, they had me call TAC again, and they could not give me any information, they actually asked me why I wanted to use this device......

I asked for a User manual, but i was told that I would have to buy a service contract for more support.....

So.........

I connected the 2800 to my other switch via crossover, and I connected a laptop to the 2800, I can surf the net with no issues. I tried to run a "sh cdp neighbors detail", but it came up empty, I even tried to follow this link to reset to factory defaults: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps591/products_field_notice09186a0080094c71.shtml#resetting

but i still cant connect to the management console, which I am assuming is the serial on the back of the unit, I even tried serial to serial from my laptop to the unit via rs-232 and a rollover cable which gav me the best results, atleast I got a modem string type display in hyper terminal "ATQ0Z0 & ATQ0H00"

I'm at a loss.

So here I am at the start again

Hi Tom, I am not sure but as far as I recall, this device (2820) uses a propietary cable, not a rollover neither a straight through cable. Find at Cisco the pinout (and fabricate it) and you will solve tha problem...hope this helps

Thanks,

I'll try to find the info!

Tom

Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.