Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Catalyst 2924-XL Switch - Newbie Question

I'm trying to teach myself how to manage and configure our Cisco switchs. I'm more familar with 3COM switchs. What I want to find out is how to determine the IP address of the PC/Printer attached to each port of our switchs. With the 3Com it's very easy. Can this be done on the 2924-XL? If so how? (Please provide detailed instruction. So far, the instructions provided by Cisco have been "Greek" to me.)

2 REPLIES

Re: Catalyst 2924-XL Switch - Newbie Question

because the switch is a layer 2 device you cannot get the IP addresses of attached pcs/printers directly off of the switch. But you can get the mac address of the device by doing a "show mac fa0/X" where X is the port number. then i go to the router(assuming Cisco)

and do a "sh ip arp xxxx.xxxx.xxxx " where the x's are the MAC address of the device, and the router should return the IP address.

Re: Catalyst 2924-XL Switch - Newbie Question

if the switch management interface is in the same vlan as the clients (by default) and if you want to find out which port a specific ip address device is connected, then ping from the switch and get the mac address and check using the mac-address table.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content