Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 2960, Auto-MDIX, Auto-Speed and Auto-Duplex

lee_atkinson
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have a 2960 switch. Our ISP provided me with a straight-through cable and said that I needed to use a cross-over, and set speed to 100 and duplex to full.

Instead, I used Auto-MDIX, but then I have to set speed and duplex to Auto - the switch won't allow manual setting of speed and duplex when using auto-MDIX. The link then sets itself to 100-half.

Do I have to use a cross-over cable so that I can set the speed and duplex?

Thanks and regards

Lee

2 Replies 2

ankurbhasin
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Lee,

Yes with auto-mdix you cannot manually set the speed and duplex settings.

I think your ISP had set the duplex settings to half duplex and that is the reason it is negotiating to half duplex or if he is using some kind of converter between your switch and thier switch it could be an issue.

Also yes if you use a cross over cable you will definetely be able to set the speed and duplex setting to 100 and full but if your isp is on half duplex you will face collisions so just confirm from your ISP his switchport settings.

HTH, if yes please rate the post.

Ankur

ankurbhasin
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Lee,

Yes with auto-mdix you cannot manually set the speed and duplex settings.

I think your ISP had set the duplex settings to half duplex and that is the reason it is negotiating to half duplex or if he is using some kind of converter between your switch and thier switch it could be an issue.

Also yes if you use a cross over cable you will definetely be able to set the speed and duplex setting to 100 and full but if your isp is on half duplex you will face collisions so just confirm from your ISP his switchport settings.

HTH, if yes please rate the post.

Ankur

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: