cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

catalyst 3500

kjacks
Level 1
Level 1

I have several catalyst 3500 XL (3512) switches that are going down and ports 3, 7, and 11 light up amber. I try to console in with a laptop and can't get a response. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

7 Replies 7

nethelper
Level 3
Level 3

Hello,

try to reboot the switch with the laptop consoled in, and check if there are any POST failures. Possibly you are experiencing a hardware failure. How old are the switches ?

Regards,

Nethelper

Thanks for your reply.

I've tried rebooting with a laptop consoled in and all I get is either a tilde (~) or a capital c (C) show on the console.

The switch shows ports 3, 7, and 11 in amber and the RPS is amber also, but I don't have it connected to any external RPS.

These are 5 years old.

Thanks for any help.

Can you confirm that your terminal emulation program is configured for 9600-8-N-1 ? If it is, try and configure it for the next higher speed (19200) and then try again. Repeat the process till you get to a baud rate of 115200. Maybe the console has been configured for a non-9600 baud rate...

Paresh

williamwbishop
Level 1
Level 1

What are those ports connected to, if anything?

When you say they are going up and down, do you mean the port or the switches?

Two of the ports connected to a PC and one had nothing connected. I've disconnected everything and no luck.

What I mean is that I have several 3512 switches (6) and I've had three just stop working and not responding. One I was able to console into, but I couldn't reload the IOS. This one doesn't respond at all except sometimes when I plug it back in I get a tilde(~) or a C.

Are these switches that you've set up? I mean, could someone have changed the con settings?

You can always break the process by holding down the mode button while powering it up.

Yes they are ones I set up. I tried a console connection all different ways and no luck. I also have tried holding down the mode button and nothing. I think it is dead.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: