Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Catalyst 3524-XL-A & Catalyst 3508 XL Using Cat5 Instead of Fiber

I have 6 Catalyst 3524-XL-A linked up via fibre to the Catalyst 3508 XL. I also installed Cat5 Cables from each Catalyst 3524-XL-A to to one of the Catalyst 3524-XL-A which is in the server cabinet, so all the 6 switches have fiber and cat5 cables linking them together for backup.

The problem is that with the cat5 cable connected the fiber goes off, if I unplug the cat5 backup cable the fiber kicks into life.

I want the cat5 backup cables to kick in only if the primary route (fiber)fails.

I have not changed any configuration on any of the equipment from factory.

2 REPLIES

Re: Catalyst 3524-XL-A & Catalyst 3508 XL Using Cat5 Instead of

Maybe you need to reduce the port cost or port priority of the 3508XL switch. The default cost is computed from the bandwidth settings. In your case, since the links to the 3508 is faster, you should have a port cost of 4. The default cost for a 100Mb port is 19 and for 1000Mbs is 4. Use the 'show spann' command to view the path cost on both the switches. If it is any different, set it back to it's default values with the command 'spanning-tree cost 32768'.

Re: Catalyst 3524-XL-A & Catalyst 3508 XL Using Cat5 Instead of

Thanks oniant will try it out.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content