cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 3550 and 2950 - Remove Cluster configuration

bryan.allison
Level 1
Level 1

I have a rather complex stack of 3550 and 2950 switches that have been configured to use the Cluster services. Unfortunately, it was not done properly so I have a project to get rid of the Cluster services so we can properly manage all of the switches as individual entities. Are there any pottential issues (ie. a clustered switch loses its configuration) when I disable clustering on the master switch?

3 Replies 3

jackyoung
Level 6
Level 6

What I believe you are going to setup the switches as hub and spoke design. When you configure the cluster/stack, the configuration will be copied to the whole stack. If you disable or disconnect the cale, it will become standalone switch. However, I suggest to save and backup the configuration before make any change.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps628/products_data_sheet09186a00800a1789.html

Thanks for the information. Unfortunately, whoever originally did this never setup the cluster functionality correctly. My plans are to get them to all standalone switches until I can replace them with a chassis.

IC, the most simplest way is to configure each switch individually. Then connect each other as distribution and access style then it is fine. However, if you require to manage the switches via network, be remember to configure different IP address at each switch. It was because if it is stacked before, there may be only one IP address.

I suggest to clear the configuration and configure it again to ensure it is clean.

Hope this helps.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: