Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Catalyst 3550 and SVI's

Would somebody mind taking the time to explain to me how SVI's work with a 3550? I currently have 6 3550's with both PC's and Cisco IP Phones plugged into them and am wondering what benefits I may be losing by not having a distribution layer switch in place. I was thinking that it would be better to have the 6 3550's connecting up into a distribution layer switch (a 4500 maybe), so I could then apply security to the router interfaces.

If anyone has any ideas then that would be great!

Many thanks,

Danny,

• Other Network Infrastructure Subjects
1 REPLY
Bronze

Re: Catalyst 3550 and SVI's

Danny,

It really just depends on your network topology whether or not you will have devices that can go into a layered architecture.

SVI's are just virtual layer 3 interfaces. Just a form of configuring InterVLAN routing on a multilayer switch.

All you need to do is have a local VLAN configured and applied to any switchport that correlates to an SVI. By doing this the SVI can be the default gateway for that VLAN. ACL's and things like that can be applied to the SVI for security.

Hope this helps.

Daniel

Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.