Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Catalyst 3550 EMI

Hi there,

May I ask a question that is it feasible to download a EMI software into SMI Catalyst 3550? If it is feasible, may I ask one more question on about the way how to verify a Catalyst 3550 wether it is a real EMI or SMI?

thanks a lot

David

3 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: Catalyst 3550 EMI

First of all, to verify if you have an SMI or EMI image, you just need to look at a show ver.

You should see the following:

===================

Model number: WS-C3550-48-SMI

===================

If you purchase a license for the EMI image, you can just download and install the image on to this switch.

Cisco Employee

Yes..You can download EMI software onto a SMI Switch. You'll need to purchase the upgrade(it is not a free upgrade).

The part number is hardcoded into the system. But you can tell whether the switch is running EMI or SMI by doing show version.

C3550-I9qxxxx is SMI

C3550-I5qxxxx is EMI

Switch#sh ver

Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software

IOS (tm) C3550 Software (C3550-I9Q3L2-M), Version 12.1(13)EA1a, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Bronze

To upgrade you need to order

CD-3550-EMI=

Enhanced Multilayer Software Image Upgrade(3550-24,3550-48)

$1.995 (list price, july 2003)

I don't think you can download this.

A "show version" on our SMI will show "Running Layer2 Switching Only Image" (somewhere halfway in its output) which is not entirely correct since the SMI can do Layer3 routing (static or RIP), but I guess this means "running SMI version".

hth

Herbert

Views
Helpful
Replies