Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Catalyst 3550's kicking each other off.

I am trying to add two Catalyst 3550 switches to an existing network. They will be in addition to two HP Procurve 2650 switches. They are both configured the same, and both independatly work with the existing network; however, when I connect them both at the same time, they are kicking each other off. Also, the HP swiches are controlled by a seperate dept in the Org, so I cannot view their config. I was curious if anyone has seen this behavior before.

6 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: Catalyst 3550's kicking each other off.

When you say that they are "kicking each other off" can you elaborate? Are ports getting disabled, etc? Can you post any relevant syslogs or other outputs that could shed some light on what is happening?

-Bobby

What I mean, is that when the first of the two comes online, it workes properly (it dosn't matter which one I bring up first). Then when I connect the second one, any systems connected to the first switch will lose network connectivity to the point I cannot even ping the switch anymore (Note: this normally takes about 3-5 min to happen). But the second switch will work just fine. Once the second switch is taken off line the first switch begins working again (Again it takes about 3-5 min for the switch to come back online after the second switch is unplugged). I hope this is a little clearer. I will pull the configs off the switchs and post those shortly.

here is the config off one of the switches. The only differance between the two is the IP address. If you need more information please let me know.

Cisco Employee

Are the switches dual homed?

Also, when the second switch is connected, and the first one becomes unresponsive, are you able to console into the switch? I'm wondering if we see a flood/burst of traffic on the uplink port and/or high cpu.

-Bobby

I do not believe that the switches are dual homed. Everything is on the same subnet and Vlan. However, I cannot verify the config on the HP switches, which the Catalysts are connecting through. I have not tried to console into the switch, just telnet; which dosn't work.

I do, however, see what appears to be flood traffic across the first switch. At first I thought I might have a bad switch, but I disregarded this when it occurred when I reversed which switch I connect first with the same result, and it is not affecting the HP switches.

We were able to console into the first switch before bringing the second one on-line and when the second switch comes online, the first switch loses console connection. The first switch is not rebooting, but as i stated earlier, we are seeing what appears to be flood traffic on the first switch.

Hope this new information helps.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content