cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 3550 SMI

snakkes4you
Level 1
Level 1

Is it possible to assign one port to more than one(1) VLAN?

After doing a lot of research it seems this is not possible on the 3550?

I want to assign my server ports to multiple VLAN's(VLAN1 and VLAN2) and have 2 departments separated by these 2 VLANS. This is because of security issues, but the departments should still be able to access the servers.

Any advice? Im running the SMI image and do I need the EMI to do this? Anyone know the cost of the EMI image?

Regards

Mailman

6 Replies 6

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The only way I see to do this is to get a nic card for your server that supports trunking , then you could run multiple vlans down a single link .

I would suggest you create a minimum of three VLAN's - one for Dept #1, one for Dept #2 and another for your servers. You could also separate the servers into separate VLAN's if required as well. You can then create ACL's restricting access between the VLAN's and apply these to the Layer-3 SVI interfaces to restrict traffic in and out of these VLAN's.

You would need to define what restrictions you want to allow and what you want to block. This could simply be at the IP level or at the Layer-4 protocol level.

HTH

Andy

What you specify above, was also what i was thinking to do. But I didnt think it was possible to assign IP adresses to interfaces and do IP routing on the 3550 using the SMI image? Thought you only had layer2 functionality with the SMI image?

Regards

Mailman

How can I download a newer IOS upgrade for the switches? When I am logged in as myself and try to download it, the webpage says I need additional access to do this.

Any advice would have been great.

Regards

Mailman.

Hi

To get the upgraded verisons of the IOS codes you need to have either SMARTnet contract or CCO ID with additional permissions/access or else you can contact the vendor from whom you have purchased the euqipment..

regds

You can route IP with the SMI image (now called IP Base), you can only run RIP & use static routes though. The EMI (IP Services) image adds EIGRP, OSPF, BGP & Multicast routing.

You are entitled to free software updates for the life of the product as long as you don't move from the SMI to the EMI image. Contact your supplier for IOS if you don't have download privileges.

HTH

Andy

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: