cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 4006 s3

mbserrano
Level 1
Level 1

If I have a catalyst 4006 s3 and i want Layer3 functionality, will I still need the layer 3 card service module?

thanks

10 Replies 10

DALE FRANCIS
Level 3
Level 3

Nope, you will only need the SUP3, which runs IOS and has integrated L2/3/4.

The only thing you will have to order is the version of IOS you require.

mbserrano,

when we speak about layer 3 capabilities, we assume that the equipement is able to make NAT (Network Address Translation).

However, in cisco web site, i can't find the information saying that Cat4K with SUPIII can make NAT.

have you any idea about Cat4K & NAT?

thx

NAT is an addiotional Feature, in terms of L3 this refers to routing and swtiching at L3 level.

This device is for customers who require the following Layer 2/3/4 switching up to 64 Gbps, 48 Mpps with advanced QoS and bandwidth management, therefore mostly in the campus environment.

As far as i am aware it does not support NAT/PAT i have looked at the command ref for 12.1(11)b and no ref to NAT at all.

Regards

thanks!!!

OK, cat4K with SUPIII does not support NAT.

so what layer 3 switch that supports NAT, can i use?

i'm afraid cisco does not provide such switch. :(

the Catalyst 6500 supports NAT, but not in hardware. Therefore, all frames to be NAT'd musted pass through MSFC.

If the Cat4006 with the l3 routing blade does not support NAT. How can I make NAT work in my network? can I just attach another router to on the private vlans and let the outside router do all of the Natting to he public address networks? I am concerned about creating routing loops between VLANS, is there a better way to do this? will the sup iii on the cat 4006 ever support NAT?

Thanks

Hi,

The 6500(MSFC), 5500 (RSM)does support NAT.. might be a bit OTT though. It's also supported on the smaller voice switches.

ok, the 5500 supports NAT, but is it a layer 4 switch too?

if yes, what sup engine do i need to garant these feature: NAT, layer 3 & 4?

Cat4k sup3 doesn't support NAT but you can use external Internet router to support NAT. Catalyst 4000 currently doesn't have WAN interfaces and hence you may want to NAT on a Router with WAN interface to covert the private IP to public IP. Cat4k sup3 is latest generation supervisor with lot of superior features.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: