Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Catalyst 4006 & some desktops connecting half duplex

We have a C4006 which connects all the office and servers. Most computers are HP laptops and desktops all new with Broadcom Netextreme gigabit Nics in them. All are set to Auto speed and while most including my laptop run at 100mb, the problem desktop which takes forever to pull an excel spreadsheet from a server based on event viewer will only connect while set to Auto to 10 mb half duplex. Any thoughts why this and why around the office are some ports connecting at 10 mb and others at 100 mb? Thanks All!!!

2 REPLIES
Purple

Re: Catalyst 4006 & some desktops connecting half duplex

The only thing I can think of is to verify both ends nic and switch are set as auto . Also see if there is a newer driver for the nics and also look for any bugs on the 4006 codes . Usually auto will work fine in most devices but every once in a while you will run into nics that don't want to play nice with cisco switches. Both sides of the link must match , if your nics are set as auto then the switchport "must" be set as auto also otherwise it will cause problems like you are seeing .

Bronze

Re: Catalyst 4006 & some desktops connecting half duplex

How about manually setting the speed and duplex settings to 100 / full on the computers that do cause trouble ?

Worked once for me :)

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content