Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 4500 Power Consumption and Heat Dissipation

mchoo2005
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am currently working on a project to set up a new LAN and WAN for my customer's new site. This site will be multi-level building, with Cisco IP Phones for each floor. I have sized up each floor to require 1 floor switch with the following spec:

- Cat 4506 with a single SupII+

- 2x PWR-C45-4200ACV, in redundant mode

- 3-5x WS-X4548-GB-RJ45V

During one of our discussions with the building and electrical contractors, there are several questions around the power consumption, heat dissipation, and power oversubscription that I could not find anywhere on the CCO. The questions are as follows:

1. What is the typical power drain of the redundant PSU?

2. What is the heat dissipation of the redundant PSU?

3. Considering the max power output of the 4200W ACV PSU, the electrical contractor believes that the heat dissipation should've been higher than the 3580 BTU/hr that the data sheet claims. Is 3580 BTU/hr max heat dissipation for each 4200W PSU accurate?

4. In the event that all ports on the switch are configured as "static ports", in the event of a power oversubscription, what is the order of ports being shutdown by the switch? Is it starting from the vert last port on the last (i.e. bottom) blade?

Thanks very much in advance for any assistance...

Cheers

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

The figures you're asking for won't tell the whole story - the various cards in the 4500 will also generate heat and cause more power to be pulled through the PSU...

Use this tool to calculate the figures:

http://tools.cisco.com/cpc/

Regards

Aaron

Please rate helpful posts...

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

The figures you're asking for won't tell the whole story - the various cards in the 4500 will also generate heat and cause more power to be pulled through the PSU...

Use this tool to calculate the figures:

http://tools.cisco.com/cpc/

Regards

Aaron

Please rate helpful posts...

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Thanks Aaron. I have used the Power Calculator, but did not notice the detailed info at the bottom of the "result page". D'oh!

Cheers

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: