cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 4506 Ethernet line module link to Cisco Content Switch.

ekmwong
Level 1
Level 1

We have the new WSX-4148RJ(v3.1) module on our Cat4506 and we are using straight UTP cables link to CSS11150(v5.0). This works fine.

However, when we switched to a older WSX-4148RJ (v2.3), it doesn't work unless we use cross cables.

Looking at the CSS installation guide, it does say we must use cross-cable for CSS<->switch link. I'm curious as to the new feature in the new WSX-4148RJ(v3.1) card that allows link even on straight cable.

Does anyone have the documentation on this feature? I've been searching high and low on CCO but can't find it. Thanks!

2 Replies 2

jasochan
Level 1
Level 1

This correct, Cisco are incorporating a feature called "Auto MDI " in some of their later rev linecards which will allow the ports to determine whether you have a X-over or straight through cable attached.

For your linecard it first appeared on version 3.0

Hi,

thanks for your reply. Yes, that's the feature. Do you know where I could find the document for this? I need to justify getting all new cards as we don't have factory made cross-cables over here. I don't suppose we could software upgrade the old WSX-4148RJ to support "Auto MDI" ?

Many thanks.