Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Catalyst 4506 Ethernet line module link to Cisco Content Switch.

We have the new WSX-4148RJ(v3.1) module on our Cat4506 and we are using straight UTP cables link to CSS11150(v5.0). This works fine.

However, when we switched to a older WSX-4148RJ (v2.3), it doesn't work unless we use cross cables.

Looking at the CSS installation guide, it does say we must use cross-cable for CSS<->switch link. I'm curious as to the new feature in the new WSX-4148RJ(v3.1) card that allows link even on straight cable.

Does anyone have the documentation on this feature? I've been searching high and low on CCO but can't find it. Thanks!

2 REPLIES

Re: Catalyst 4506 Ethernet line module link to Cisco Content Swi

This correct, Cisco are incorporating a feature called "Auto MDI " in some of their later rev linecards which will allow the ports to determine whether you have a X-over or straight through cable attached.

For your linecard it first appeared on version 3.0

Re: Catalyst 4506 Ethernet line module link to Cisco Content Swi

Hi,

thanks for your reply. Yes, that's the feature. Do you know where I could find the document for this? I need to justify getting all new cards as we don't have factory made cross-cables over here. I don't suppose we could software upgrade the old WSX-4148RJ to support "Auto MDI" ?

Many thanks.

Views
Helpful
Replies