Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Catalyst 4506 Frame Size / 1000 GIG port transfering very slow HELP!!!

Hello there,

We have 2 Cisco 4506 and they are connect as fallow.

The Switch 1 is connected as a trunk on Switch 2, we are in the process of migrating it from Nortel Switches to Cisco, We have the 1 Nortel Main Switch that is connected to the Cisco Switch 1, the Cisco's are set to Full-Duplex 1000, fiber optics and the connection from Nortel is 100 MB full duplex they all using Cat5E Cisco to Cisco Fiber.

We have servers connected at the Nortel Cisco (Production) and we have one Server so far connected to the Cisco Switch #1 the proble is when I am copying files from the servers that are attached to the Nortel Switch to the Server that is connected to the Cisco Switch it is extremelly slow... and I am not sure why.

Could you please let me know what is the Frame Size Default for 4506, what is the maximum could I go...

Thank you in Advance...

Jacqueline Drysdale

1 REPLY
Silver

Re: Catalyst 4506 Frame Size / 1000 GIG port transfering very sl

The default MTU (maximum transmission unit) is 1500 bytes, which can be exceeded up till 1518 bytes. You can configure for an MTU more than 1518, which is not an IEEE supported standard and is vendor specific. These MTUs are called baby giants and jumbo giants which are different for different vendors. I suspect the MTU size to be different on both the end switches. And since both are different vendors, the slowness is obvious. May be you could check out the MTU on both and try to match. To know more about the frame sizes please refer to :

Configuring Jumbo/Giant Frame Support on Catalyst Switches

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps700/products_configuration_example09186a008010edab.shtml#subtopic1B

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content