cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 4507R Sup Questions

bkaren1278
Level 1
Level 1

I have 2 4507's that i wish to connect via etherchanneled trunks on the fiber gbics in the sup IV engines.

Does the Sup IV support using both fiber GBICs on a single blade?

Also, should the adapters come with the sup's to plug fiber into the sup's if not what's the model #?

7 Replies 7

szahid
Level 3
Level 3

If you have redundant supervisors , then you can only use the first port on each supervisor which is gig 1/1 and gig 2/1 to form an etherchannel. If you have single supervisor in a chassis , you can use both gig 1/1 and gig 1/2 for etherchannel.

The GBIC adapters do not come with the line card , you have to buy them separately.

The part # for the sx gbics are

WS-G5484

For disatnce specs , please take a look here.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/modules/ps872/products_data_sheet09186a008014cb5e.html

Thanks

Salman Z.

Salman,

What about gig 1/2 and gig 2/2. Are they active ? Can I use these uplinks to connect to any other switch. Cannt we make an etherchannel using 1/1,1/2,2/1,2/2. What if I setup using that.What about other sups, do they behave same.

Please revert.

regards,

-amit singh

Due to the architecture of the switch only 2 ports can be active with either single or dual supervisors. If you have a single supervisor then ports 1/1 and 1/2 are active. If you have dual (redundant) supervisors then only 1/1 and 2/1 are active, the other ports cannot be used.

This is a hardware limitation and will not be fixed in software.

HTH

Andy

Due to the architecture of the switch only 2 ports can be active with either single or dual supervisors. If you have a single supervisor then ports 1/1 and 1/2 are active. If you have dual (redundant) supervisors then only 1/1 and 2/1 are active, the other ports cannot be used.

This is a hardware limitation and will not be fixed in software.

HTH

Andy

Andy -

this limitation only applies to sup2+ and sup4. Sup5 and Sup5-10GE no longer has these limitations in 12.2(25)SG code. take a look here.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat4000/12_2_25s/conf/sw_int.htm#wp1066964

thanks

Salman Z.

I previously raised this question with Cisco a while ago and was told it was the architecture of the switch (chassis?) that imposed the restriction. Obviously Cicso has overcome these limitations with the newer Supervisors.

Thanks

Andy

In sup5 ( WS-X4516) and Sup5-10Ge ( WS-X4516-10GE ) with 12.2(25)SG code , you can use all the uplinks. But for sup3 and sup4 , only one of the ( actually only 1/1 and 2/1 ) can be used as they are the only 2 active ports. You can certainly include 1/2 and 2/2 in port channel , but they stay in "Inactive" state. keep in mind for WS-X4516-10GE , if you are using all uplinks in a 4510R chassis , slot 10 operated in a flex mode which means you can only use WS-X4302-GB line card in slot 10 if all uplinks are being used.

Thanks

Salman Z.