cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 5500

mike.walter
Level 1
Level 1

We have a Cisco 5500 (13 slots) and just recently is has started acting up. When you copy large amounts of data between two machines the entire network bogs down. We have looked at the CPU utilization and it remains constant, around 20%. All the ports are running 100Mbit. I have looked for other errors and causes but found nothing. I know they are end of life, but I am sure there are many still out there running. Any thoughts or ideas would be helpful. If you need more info, please respond as well.

Thanks,

Mike

4 Replies 4

c.lemaire
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Mike,

My question may seem silly but did you checked the spanning-tree config? I'm asking because a customer of mine had disabled the spnning-tree on unused vlans. It worked fine until he add a new vlan and forgot to enable the spanning-tree for it...

Regards,

Christophe

Yes, spanning tree is enabled on both vlans. This is a very simple config as well. Nothing out of the ordinary, just a single switch with servers plugged directly in.

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

when it seems slow do a "show traffic" , this will give you the utilization for the 3 backplanes , possible you are overrunning one of the backplanes . Unless these are gig connections seems like a low probably that this might happen though . What kind of data are these machines passing ? If they are doing a lot of broadcasting then it could affect the whole network , besides that all unicast traffic is switched in hardware and should not affect other users .

I will do that. We were copying a large amount of data from one server to another, basically moving shares. We were also moving SQL backup data as well off the SQL server to another one. It was a few gigs of data.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: