Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Catalyst 5505: errDisable state on portfast enabled ports

Anyone run across this problem?

This problem occurs on a Catalyst 5505.

When portfast is enabled, ports connected to Win2000 workstations go into errDisabled state upon power up. Ports are re-enabled and work fine until workstation is power cycled, at which point they go into errDisable state once again. When portfast is disabled, the problem goes away.

Thanks,

Eric

5 REPLIES
Bronze

Re: Catalyst 5505: errDisable state on portfast enabled ports

This could happen if you have enabled bpdu guard globally for portfast and the port received a BPDU on that port. As in your case, it is only a PC which is connected, I dont think it will generate any bpdu unless you are running any bridging software on top of it.

Ruling this one out, I can only ask you to check for the Duplex and Speed mismatch at both ends and change them to Manual at both the NIC and switchport and see if it resolves your problem.

Turns out that Cisco SW 4.5(13a) has a feature that errdisables ports based on collisions detected. This feature wasn't present before and turned out to be the culprit. That and the fact that there were many collisions occurring when the PC boots up initially.

Bronze

I knew this could also be a problem, but I didnt' expect it in your case as

you said it is only the PC which connects to the switch. I wonder how the

collisions occur in this case?

In this case, I suspect bad NIC cards. However, the desktop support people disagree and keep pointing at the switch. I'd like to verify the NICs but without desktop support, I cannot proceed.

At this point, we've downgraded to 4.4.1, since they don't want errport disabled and problems have disappeared, so no further investigation will be sanctioned.

Thanks guys, but it looks like this one won't be solved completely.

Cisco Employee

The following page should help you

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/20.html

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content