cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

catalyst 6500 msfc2 module 15 not installed

jeff.alston
Level 1
Level 1

C6500 SUP1a MSFC2. Switch boots but mod 15 never comes up. Why? I accidently loaded a native IOS on a switch running CatOS. I cannot delete the native IOS off the bootflash no matter what. I can get to switch console and rommon but that is it. I have pulled a good CatOS image from another switch onto a PC card and put it into the slot, but SLOT0: is not enabled or recognized. I have tried to load a bootloader to bootflash but it finishes, errors out and sits and ROMMON. Of course, I cannot get to the MSFC bootflash from inside the switch side.

6 Replies 6

paumercier
Level 1
Level 1

Jeff,

You might want to review

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps700/products_tech_note09186a00801350b8.shtml#reverting

to see if you can revert back to hybrid mode (catOS) of follow the links at the bottom to review how to start fresh.

Bad news. It does not matter because I cannot get to the bootflash on the MSFC2. I tried bringing what I thought is a good CatOS for mod 15 over (c6msfc2-jsv-mz.121-19.e1.bin) on a PC Card-slot0: but that won't initialize and read the image-it won't boot off the slot0:. I do not know what else to do at this point. I have a really expensive L2 switch sitting here now.

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Try recovering the MSFC using steps in the following tech tip

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/124.html

Thanks. I have been through this document many times. Bottom line, I cannot get to the MSFC at all. Just with ROMMON and you know how many options are there...none!

Hi Jeff,

I am only replying now because I have not been reading the forum, holidays.

I had the same problem, used the same document to try and get to the MSFC, and to no avail. My conclusion was that it was actually faulty.

Regards

Fernando

I finally got it. I had tried a boot loader image before...but it would just error out or just sit there. I tried it again with the xmodem terminal set at 38400 and it worked like a champ. Recovered the switch and life is good. Go figure. I used the 12.1.19e1a image.