cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

catalyst express 500 24TT

sarenos2006
Level 1
Level 1

I have changed my old switches ( from other vendor )in my LAN and I have installed several cisco 500 24TT.

Each switch has nearly all ports used.

When I ping to the switches the pings are very large 60--100 ms however the network is running correctly and the pings between all devices are correct <1ms moreover when I try to access the switch via web it spends long time.

Why could be that problem and How can I fix it?

1 Reply 1

leonvd79
Level 4
Level 4

Hello Sarenos,

It is hard to say what is causing the latency between your management host and switch.

"When I ping to the switches the pings are very large 60--100 ms"

Do you have more VLANs configured other than the default VLAN 1? In case you have host in a other VLAN, is your management VLAN by any chance different than the VLAN for your hosts and/or servers?

Routing between VLANs adds latency and - if configured wrong - could affect performance. The issue could also be the result of a poor ARP response from the switch.

Either way you have to search your topology for possible problems. Start by using a network sniffer and look for ARP requests and replies between your host and the switch.

"pings between all devices are correct <1ms"

This is obviously because the hosts reside on the same switch and/or same VLAN.

If you need further assistance please provide a diagram and configuration snippets.

HTH

Leon

* Please rate posts.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: