Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Webcast-Catalyst9k

Catalyst Express 500 switch IP addressing problem

I have a new switch and I cannot give it the IP address that I want to give it. My internal IP addressing scheme is 10.0.0.0 and when I try to give it an address in this subnet, I get an error telling me that it cannot have a 10.0.0.0 address. What is preventing and how do I get around it??

Thanks in advance.

5 REPLIES

Re: Catalyst Express 500 switch IP addressing problem

Hi Matt,

The switch port may be in layer 2 config.Give the command " no switchport"(this command will bring the port to layer3)in interface config mode and try again.

-Senthil.C

Hi,

The bad news is that you cant assign a management address to the express range of switches in the 10.0.0.0/24 range. This range is reserved for setting up the switch and cant be changed.

here is a link..

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6545/products_user_guide_chapter09186a0080531d74.html

then check out the section inthe table headded "IP Address ".

Cheers

Shaun

That is very bad news. I don't understand why you wouldn't be able to change this. I'm sure I'm not the only person in the world with a 10.0.0.0 network. I am not going to change my whole IP addressing scheme for one switch!!! How can I get around this?? I want to be able to manage this switch without having to go in the server room all the time.. Any ideas??

Yes, It does seem a bit of a strange way to go with a modern bit of network kit.

The switch always uses fast ethernet port 1 for setup, and always on the 10.0.0.0 network, but you cant even try to rig up some type of 'out of band' management scenario because you need to press the button on the front to go into set up ... so you would have to go into the server room anyway...!

In the end, the management address will not affect the traffic going through the switch. You could give it an address on vlan1 and put all your traffic on vlan 2 for example. Obviously you would need to be able to route to that address and include both vlans on uplink trunks to your router. I dont know if your network design will allow you to do that.

If not, and you have a big pile of these express switches you need to manage, try building a 'Management Network' This is a little neater and if planned properly can scale fairly well.

The idea here is that you create a new network with new ranges reserved specifically for managing your equipment and join it to your existing network with a simple 2 port router.

So basically you assign an ip address range to your switch/switches which is different to your deployed range, say 172.16.0.0/24. Then you configure your switches to be managed, via these addresses, on a different vlan to your user traffic as described above. So for example, vlan1 for your management addresses and vlan2 for your traffic.

Now, make one access port on each switch an access port in vlan 1 and connect them (via an aggregate switch if you have lots to manage) to port 1 of your router (which is addressed on your new managenet network range). Address port 2 of your router to the range of your production network (10.0.0.0) and use either dynamic or static routing to make youre core/downstream routers learn that the management network (172...) is via the new 2 port router you have just added.

You should then be able to web browse to the 500's from anywhere you want. Obviously you can restrict access as you prefer on the new router.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Shaun

This has been fixed in latest IOS (12.2.(25)SEG).

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content