cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst Implementation

rshullaw
Level 1
Level 1

We're going to be replacing our 3Com Corebuilder 9000 Backbone switch with a Catalyst 6513 soon and I'm looking for direction on a good task list or project plan for that type of project. Does anyone have a good task list for this type of project they'd be willing to share, or know of any areas where this type of resource might be provided.

I know what we need to do generally speaking, but I'd like to be able to compare it against some known hints and tips for a good project implementation.

Thanks!!!

2 Replies 2

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

Some things that I would go for are,

1. Find out if Layer 3 routing is also needed on the switch, or you plan to use an external router for L3 routing. (for L3, you need an MSFC on the cisco switch)

2. Find out if redudancy is needed at your backbone

3. Find out how many ports are needed, on the core 6513s...(to decide the number of modules needed in the cisco switch)

4. Find out if you need, Gigabit ports (for uplinks) over fiber or copper ( the type of media used)

5. If you plan to segment your network using subnets/ vlans, plan that part too..

The above might be of help!

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

Just to add further,

In case the 6513 connects to access switches, then you need to configure trunking, encapsulation( ISL or dot1q).

You need to configure a VTP Domain for multiple switches for VLAN Management.

If your network is DHCP enabled, you need to configure ip helper address.

SNMP logging, console access, vty access, NTP Server are a few basic requirements.