cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

catalyst logging - sequence numbers

Jason Szucs
Level 1
Level 1

When examining the syslog output from my 3500xl catalyst switches I see sequence numbers pre-pended to the output even though the 'service sequence-number' is not enabled. For example:

1787: Feb 6 08:40:19 est: %SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from console by vty0 (10.18.28.24)

In the above example, the '1787' is the undesired pre-pended sequence number. Has anyone run across this issue or found a way to prevent this from being pre-pended?

3 Replies 3

steve.barlow
Level 7
Level 7

By default, sequence numbers in log messages are not displayed. I assumed you entered 'no service sequence-numbers' and did a wr mem. When you do a show run, is the service shown? You could also try disabling and then re-enabling logging to see if it makes a difference. Which version are you running?

Hope it helps.

Steve

The sequence-number service isn't running. When I enable it, a syslog message has the following format:

1810: 001937: Feb 6 10:30:09 est: %SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from console by vty0 (10.18.28.24)

Notice that my message now has two sequence numbers: 1810 and 001937. Both numbers increment by one in successive messages. I've noticed this behavior in all the switchcode versions that I've tried, but for this example, I'm running Version 12.0(5)WC3b.

I considered the possibility that the sequence number that I see when the service is disabled is generated by my syslog server software. As a check, I used a sniffer to examine the syslog stream. The sniffer trace verified that the sequence number was present.

Cisco has posted a bug ID regarding this issue: CSCea26598

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: